10 Signs You Are On The Verge of Homelessness
WHAT ARE THE SIGNS YOU MAY BE ON THE VERGE OF HOMELESSNESS?
Have you ever stopped to consider how close to homeless you may be?
“They” say that we may all be only one paycheque away from homeless. It’s a scary thought. Yet for some, may be totally true. If your financial situation were to change dramatically today, how would you fare?
In the blink of an eye – you lose your job, a loved one, your health – and you may be financially devastated. Not a nice topic of conversation I know, however – it happened to me – twice!.
Thankfully, not the homeless part, but losing everything and having to start over. It can be mentally challenging and create a whole world of anxiousness, add to that being homeless and Im not sure how resourceful and resilient I could be. Yet, you never know until faced with the situation. BUT
DO YOU WANT OR KNOW IF YOU ARE ON THE VERGE OF HOMELESSNESS?
Often homelessness does not happen instantly. It can for some, however, there are signs also.
It’s difficult to acknowledge that you may be on the verge of homelessness, denial is strong as you don’t want to face the embarrassment or be vulnerable about your situation. Asking for help can often be seen as a weakness. Yet, being unwilling to accept the signs could place you and your family at risk of financial homelessness. Denial can lead to homelessness.
We live in an abundant world, often manipulated or lead to purchase items and acquiring things that are said to be “essential”.
Consider evaluating the cost of some of the essentials you possess – your phone plan, your electricity usage, cars, dining out, takeaway, coffees and entertainment may be in need of elimination or decreasing at the least.
Knowing the signs is one thing, however it’s equally important to make immediate changes to pull yourself out of the situation before sinking into the dark abyss of homelessness.
Homelessness is not for the weak; no single incident leads to this far from an exotic destination. Usually a series of poor decisions and unexpected circumstances blindside vulnerable people.
Share this guide with friends and family if you feel they may be on the brink of homelessness also. Start the difficult discussion, so that you may be able to help out before the situation becomes dire.
Signs You Are on the Verge of Homelessness
- You rely on your credit card to pay bills or float you to the next paycheque.
- You need to ask for top ups from family and friends or welfare to get you through to your next pay.
- You don’t know where your money goes, or how much it costs you to live each month.
- You have overdue bills and debt collectors chasing you.
- You don’t have any savings (a minimum of $1000) for an emergency.
- You may not be able to get a loan due to your financial situation – now or previously
- You have overdue taxes and no payment plan in place.
- You find yourself living with family or friends because you cant afford rent.
- You find yourself skipping meals in order to make ends meet.
- You find yourself “budgeting” your medication to make it last until your next pay.
If any of these scenarios sound familiar, you may need to talk to us at CoconnectHER to see if we are able to match you with someone who has a room available. There is a process to follow and perhaps you are not yet ready to relocate or move, but link in with our community so you do not feel so alone.
Also here is a useful webpage with Tips on What To Do If You Become Or Are Close To Becoming Homeless. It’s written by a lady who has “been there, done that”.